Cheap Pet Insurance Ireland
Many Irish households consider their pets as part of their extended family, this is not surprising as they bring lots of joy and laughter to adults and children alike. However should your pet become ill, medical bills can be very expensive. A pet insurance policy will offer you financial comfort, it will give you more control and affordability should you have to make a decision on an emergency medical procedure.
Essentially pet insurance is designed to take some of the financial strain away from you in the event your pet suffers an unexpected illness, injury or accident. We feature 3 levels of pet insurance, please note when comparing insurance policies its vital to review not only the price but the benefits available and to ensure you are not paying too much for a product you can get cheaper elsewhere.
What is pet insurance?
Pet insurance benefits vary depending on the insurer so its important to compare like with like. Insurance quotes will depend on the age of your pet, your location and whether your pet is a pedigree or a cross breed. There will be limits on the age of your pet for example dogs and cats over 8 years. We have outlined some of the main benefits below which are generally included:
• Medical expenses up to a limit outlined on your policy schedule.
• Some policies include advertising costs for missing pets up to stated limits.
• Third party liability, this benefit will cover you in the event your pet causes injury to a third party.
• Holiday cancellation should you have to cancel your trip due to your pet becoming ill.
• Death benefit.
• Emergency boarding fees.
Pet insurance exclusions:
Ensure you understand what the policy will cover and what is excluded. Pet insurance providers will usually exclude pre-existing medical conditions when taking on new customers, see other exclusions below:
1. Dog and cat pregnancy.
2. Vaccinations, neutering flees, grooming.
3. Certain dangerous breeds may be excluded.
There are two main types of policy, Life Time and Annual Cover:
– Life Time Cover – This policy will generally cover your pet for life, provided the policy is renewed each year. You can claim up to the full amount outlined on your policy schedule for vet fees in the event of an ongoing illness, for example; arthritis or heart problems. This type of policy will be more expensive than the annual cover, terms, conditions and limits may apply.
– Annual Cover – This type of policy will not contributed to vet bills for an ongoing illness after the first 12 months. Premiums vary so make sure you understand the criteria, terms and conditions.
Cheap pet insurance tips:
Its important that you keep your dog / cat in good shape, ensure they have a good healthy diet and plenty of exercise. We would also recommend that your pet gets vaccinations and boosters as advised by your vet. We have outlined some cheap pet insurance tips below:
• Some providers may offer discounts for polices purchased online.
• Pet insurance companies will generally offer a discount if your pet is micro-chipped. This chip will help identify the owner should your pet stray.
• Discounts are generally offered for multiple pets.
Shop around for the best value policy and ensure you are comparing like with like. Always read the policy wording carefully and ensure you understand the exclusions. The cheapest policy is not always necessarily the best.
Pet Insurance FAQ
What are pet age limits?
Generally you can purchase a pet insurance policy for dogs and cats from the age of eight weeks up until eight years. If you have Lifetime Cover and the policy is renewed yearly, it will cover your pet beyond the age of 8 years, always read the policy wording carefully.
What is policy excess?
Excess is the initial amount you must contribute towards a claim, this amount will vary depending on the type of policy you purchase.
Will pet insurance cover pre-existing medical conditions?
Pet insurance will generally exclude pre-existing medical conditions for new customers taking out a policy.
If I purchase a policy today, when will my pet be covered?
Policies will generally become valid after 14 days from the purchase date.
What does complementary treatment cover?
Depending on the type of policy some insurers offer complementary treatments such as acupuncture, osteopathy and chiropractic however these treatments must be carried out by the vet and it most be due to a valid claim for an injury or illness, terms and conditions apply.
Dog & Cat Insurance Ireland
If your pet is injured or becomes ill, veterinary treatments and medical costs can be expensive. Its only natural to get upset should they become sick, dog and cat insurance will give you peace of mind and remove the financial strain should they require treatment for an injury or illness.
Mature dogs and cats just like humans are prone to long term illness, for example arthritis, heart problems or diabetes. So whether your pet is a cross breed or a pedigree, insurance can make stressful situations and decisions a little easier to handle by removing the financial burden. Ensure you understand the difference between Lifetime Cover and Annual Cover, this criteria can make a massive difference to the type of benefits and cover your pet receives. Exclusion outlined below:
General dog / cat insurance exclusions:
• Breeding or pregnancy-related conditions.
• Worming, flea control and castration.
• Pre-existing conditions.
• Medication or treatment not recommended by a vet.
• Animals registered under the government’s Dangerous Dogs Act 1991/97.
• Puppies / kittens under eight weeks old.
We recommend that you shop around in order to get the best value comprehensive policy. Pedigree pets are generally more susceptible and prone to illness so its important that you get the right cover that’s suitable for your dog or cat. The older the pet the higher the premiums and remember if you are purchasing a new policy; pre-existing conditions will not be covered. All contents on our website is for information purposes only, terms, conditions and benefits may vary from company to company. It is advisable to read the benefit schedule and policy wording carefully.