Compare travel insurance quotes
Fed up with the rain? Looking forward to your sun, sand and sea or even snow, slopes and ski holiday. Make sure you and your family are prepared for all eventualities. CompareInsuranceIreland is an Irish holiday insurance comparison website that will help you choose the right travel policy.
There are now a vast number of insurers on the Irish market offering a wide variety of different types of policies. It’s hard to know where to start and what you should be looking out for. This site reviews travel insurance cover limits and benefits.
Holiday cover has become such a hot topic with flights and holidays being disrupted due to strike, adverse weather conditions, third party insolvency and civil unrest. Unfortunately many Irish holiday makers were caught out over the past few years due to snow or volcanic ash, don’t let it be you. Ensure you have adequate insurance in place to cover you, your partner and your family.
These risks are on-going issues that will continue to affect Irish holiday makers. Whether you’re travelling alone as a couple or family it is important to plan for the unexpected. It’s essential to know what your policy will cover and the extras that can be added on to ensure your holiday is safeguarded.
What type of travel insurance should I buy?
Compare cheap travel insurance today and save. There are many different types of holiday insurance available so it is worth your while and may even save you money to know what type of policy suits you, your partner or your family and the best value for certain types of trips away. The main travel policies are single trip, annual cover, multi trip, winter sports, backpacker and long stay travel insurance. A brief description is given below:
Single trip travel insurance will cover you for a once off holiday or trip.
Annual multi trip travel insurance will cover you for multiple trips within the year.
Winter sports travel insurance will insure you against insured risks on your skiing or snowboarding holiday.
Backpacker travel insurance or long stay will cover you for an extended period of travel up to twelve months. Although some insurers will now extend that period up to 24 months in total, terms and conditions will apply.
Most travel insurance policies will cover you for cancellation, emergency medical expenses, hospital benefit, personal accident, baggage, personal money, missed departure, delayed departure, third party supplier insolvency and overseas legal expenses as standard, always read the terms and conditions carefully to ensure you understand what is and what is not covered.
If you have a pre-existing medical condition or have questions relating to submitting a claim we have outlined some important and useful holiday cover tips below:
Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
- If you have a pre-existing medical condition, read the terms and conditions very carefully. Some insurers require you to obtain a note from your GP to confirm that you’re fit to travel while others require you to call a health screening number in order to cover that specific condition.
- If you’ve a health insurance policy some insurers may offer you a discount depending on the level of health insurance you have in place. This may vary from company to company. If in doubt give them a quick call.
- If you’ve a pre existing medical condition and you don’t want to insure this condition, your holiday insurance will be valid, although you won’t be able to put through a claim for issues specific to that medical condition.
Tips for submitting a claim
- In the unfortunate event you need to make a claim for medical expenses abroad, ensure you retain all documentation and receipts from the hospital or medical centre where you have been treated.
- If your belongings are lost or stolen, report the loss to the local police station as soon as possible usually within 24 hours or as soon as you become aware the items are missing, ask them to complete a report which you must keep to confirm the incident did occur. If your luggage goes missing you will need a PIR report from the airline.
- Always ensure you have a copy of your travel insurance validation certificate, the policy number, emergency assistance and claim number before you travel.
For more information please visit our Travel Insurance FAQ page. We hope you will find our website informative and easy to use. Have a fantastic trip, see you soon!
Why should I get travel insurance?
Everyone wants to buy cheap travel insurance that offers comprehensive cover. It is essential that your policy insures you for the main risks which may cause you financial loss. Our aim is to compare travel insurance policies and to ensure you understand what is and what is not covered. See a list of travel insurance benefits below.
Your standard travel policy should cover you for:
- Emergency medical expenses.
- 24 hour emergency service and assistance.
- Personal liability: cover in the event that you are being sued for accidentally injuring another person or damaging their property.
- Lost and stolen money or personal property i.e. valuables, passport, airline tickets.
- Cancellation and curtailment if you have to cancel or cut your trip short for an insured reason.
- Missed departure, if you missed your flight due to an insured reason.
- The policy should cover you for the duration of your trip.
Your policy may also insure you for the following:
- Personal accident.
- Legal expenses.
- Third party supplier insolvency.
Always read the policy wording carefully for exclusions:
- Most policies will not cover alcohol or drug-related incidents.
- Any insured travelling or 3rd party relative with a terminal prognosis or individuals awaiting test or investigation results from the hospital.
- If you have a pre-existing medical condition you may have to check with medical screening, always read the policy wording carefully.
- Age limits may apply to some holiday protection policies.
Travel insurance and the Coronavirus outbreak
The Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland have recently advised against travel to the City of Wuhan and the Hubei Province due to the Coronavirus outbreak. If you have a travel insurance policy and were planning to travel to this region, we suggest you contact your travel insurance company for information.
Will my travel insurance policy cover me to cancel my trip to a city or destination that has been affected by the Coronavirus?
This will depend on the terms and conditions and criteria set out in your insurance policy. In general Irish insurance providers tend to follow the advice of the Department of Foreign Affairs. If in doubt or if you have a more specific query in relation to the Coronavirus also known as Covid19, please phone your insurance provider directly.
For more information you can keep up to date on travel advisory notices by visiting the World Health Organisation and the Department of Foreign Affairs website. Updated 26th February 2020.
Partners & insurance schemes
Insurance schemes include: Blue Insurance Ltd T/A Multi-Trip, MAPFRE S.A. T/A Mapfre Agency Ireland & Insure & Go Ireland, Worldwide Insurance Services Ltd T/A CoverForYou, Columbus Direct T/A Columbus Direct Insurance Services and Just Cover Limited.
CompareInsuranceIreland is an Irish travel insurance comparison website offering useful information in relation to travel insurance limits and benefits. Thank you for visiting our comparison website, we hope you found the information useful and that you will save both time and money by using our handy holiday insurance tips.
Cheap travel insurance Ireland
We know that your time is important and you need a quick and simple way to compare cheap travel insurance quotes. Finding great deals is easy with our comparison engine, your search for affordable holiday insurance is just a few clicks away. We offer single, annual multi-trip, family, backpacker and winter sports cover for European and worldwide destinations.
If you are planning a once off trip, we have a large range of single trip policies to choose from. Perhaps you are lucky enough to be taking more than one trip this year. If so, it may be cheaper to buy an annual multi-trip travel insurance policy. This will cover you for multiple trips within the year.
We review benefits and travel insurance quotes from some of the top insurance providers. These include: Columbus Direct, Cover for You, Insure and Go Ireland, Blue Insurance T/A Multi-Trip and Just Cover Ltd. Compare travel insurance quotes in Ireland for great online deals and save.
- Never buy the first policy offered to you, shop around to see if you can get a better deal.
- If you plan to take more than one trip, it may be cheaper to buy annual multi trip insurance.
- Insurers will generally charge a fee for posting the policy, ask them to email it to you and save money.
- It may be cheaper to buy your policy online rather than over the phone.
- If you have PHI with medical cover abroad you might be able to avail of a discount.
- If you are a backpacker there is a long stay policy that you can buy.
Compare cheap travel insurance quotes in a few clicks. Whether you are going away for leisure or business, travel insurance will offer you peace of mind. It will cover you and your family for flight delays and lost baggage. It will also cover medical risks such as breaking a leg, having a heart attack or a stroke. All of which would leave you in a foreign hospital with a medical bill.
Don’t take out the first policy offered by the airline, ferry company or travel agent, as it may not be the best insurance. Here are some of the main features that should be covered. Trip cancellation, missed departure, delayed departure, personal accident, lost baggage, medical expenses and personal liability are a few of the benefits included in a typical policy. Compare travel insurance quotes today for the best deals. If you are renting a car, don’t forget to compare cheap car hire excess insurance for great deals. We hope our insurance comparison engine saved you time and money, enjoy your trip.